In April 2016, more than 80 people attended a town hall meeting about opioid addiction in Gaston County. The concern and the conversation generated from this meeting demonstrated a clear need for organized follow-up.
Within weeks, the Gaston Community Healthcare Commission, a program of Gaston Together, established what is now the Gaston Controlled Substance Coalition. The Coalition’s goals are to:
- Encourage organizations to join the Coalition to work together and accomplish what individual organizations cannot do alone.
- Engage stakeholders: persons living with and affected by Opioid Use Disorder and leaders in the fields of medicine, behavioral health, education, emergency medical services, law enforcement, business, government, public health, and the faith community.
- Work with stakeholders to design and conduct programs that prevent Opioid Use Disorder and help impacted persons secure treatment and support services.
- Share member organizations’ programs and successes to inspire innovative programming in other organizations.
To educate the community about opioid abuse and opioid-related deaths and work to eliminate opioid addiction in Gaston County.
The mission of the Gaston Controlled Substances Coalition is to engage professionals, community leaders, and opioid-impacted persons to collaboratively inspire, develop, and conduct stigma-free programs that:
- Prevent the onset of addiction to controlled substances
- Assure the adoption of safe opioid prescribing practices
- Assure the delivery of comprehensive drug treatment and mental health services for persons in need
by actively seeking the opinions, suggestions, and criticisms of professional and community stakeholders on our work with the opioid crisis
by helping employers, courts, and other organizations adopt policies and programs that support recovery and help people with Opioid Use Disorder achieve wellbeing
by investing our resources in programs and activities to generate strong and lasting results
by working with community and professional stakeholders, we develop and encourage others to establish well-designed opioid prevention programs and help people secure drug treatment
by honoring the humanity of persons affected by Opioid Use Disorder and helping dismantle the stigma that surrounds this issue
by compassionately helping affected persons and their families understand the many facets of Opioid Use Disorder and its treatment
by holding Coalition members and organizations responsible for high-quality programming, full engagement, and follow-up
The goals of Gaston Controlled Substances Coalition are to:
- Prevent Opioid Use Disorder through responsible prescribing
- Provide education to empower parents, teachers, businesses, houses of worship, and civic organizations to educate loved ones, students, employees, and members about opioid addiction prevention and treatment
- Help affected persons secure the treatment and support they need to sustain long-term recovery
The Gaston Controlled Substances Coalition convenes community stakeholders to build effective and accessible programs.